Friday, June 2, 2017

Confessions of a Geek Girl Pt 8: What Wonder Woman Means to Me



As I eagerly anticipate seeing the new Wonder Woman film myself, I am feeling encouraged by the praise the film is already getting. Of course, I’m still cautiously optimistic. The pessimist in me definitely wonders if the movie is really as good as people are saying or if it’s a case that DC lowered the bar so much in recent years that a decent Wonder Woman film seems like a masterpiece. I know that sounds terrible of me to say, but these are the thoughts in my head. The thing is that I want the first option to be the truth. I really want Wonder Woman to be an amazing film and not just to prove that female-led superhero films can be just as good and make money.



Ultimately, I want Wonder Woman to be good because she means so much to me. When I was a little girl, I remember watching the Wonder Woman series with Lynda Carter on reruns. I wanted so much to be Wonder Woman. I grew up in a neighborhood where my sister and I were pretty much the only girls. When playing pretend with the boys, I was usually relegated to the female characters. I wasn’t allowed to be Dr. Egon Spengler when we played Ghostbusters but instead had to be Janine. (Not that I mind being Annie Potts, but playing the receptionist was boring.) However, when we played superheroes, I could be Wonder Woman. This wasn’t boring, and I was no longer just a support role. I could fight crime and battle the villains with my Lasso of Truth and Sword of Athena alongside Superman and Batman. I didn’t have to stay behind to manage the fort. There were numerous Halloweens where I wanted to be Wonder Woman, even when we could no longer find the costume in a store and the one that my grandmother had made no longer fit me. 

When in kindergarten, after first declaring that I wanted to be a rocket when I grew up (I was a weird kid), I would eventually acquiesce to not being able to become an inanimate object so I switched focus to becoming Wonder Woman. I wanted to kick ass and make the world a safer place. Before I knew what a feminist was, I was espousing feminist ideals. It wasn’t just her male counterparts of the Justice League that could stop the villains of the world. Wonder Woman had her part to play as well. She was equal to Superman in every way as far as I was concerned. And any boy who tried to argue about the value of Wonder Woman was likely to get a taste of my own Wonder Woman-like fury. 


As I was figuring out what it meant to be female in this world, I had a role model who was strong, smart, and beautiful. She didn’t need a man to rescue her. This was a stark contrast to the view of women I was being fed from my video games. Diana Prince could be a warrior and a successful woman. She didn’t have to give up her femininity to be powerful. It was her femininity that defined her power. It was the first time that being feminine and strong weren’t mutually exclusive traits in my mind. She could also be smart and beautiful: two things women aren’t often allowed to be. 

I love Wonder Woman, and I am glad that legions of young girls can experience the joy of seeing a woman lead her own superhero film, especially a hero as iconic as she is. I’m encouraged that the film was directed by a woman. I’m excited for the growing representation of women in superhero film franchises. I want Wonder Woman to be successful, not just because she’s a woman, but because she has been a source of strength for me alongside Captain America (yeah, I know I’m mixing Marvel and DC, but a good character is a good character). While Cap showed me what it meant to be a good citizen in the world, Diana Prince/Wonder Woman showed me how to be a good woman who fights for what she believes in, including gender equality. Wonder Woman taught me how to be a feminist.


No comments:

Post a Comment