Thursday, February 16, 2017

Do You Want to Build a Snowman?: The Power of Sisterhood

In honor my younger sister’s birthday today (February 16th), I want to talk about the power of sisterhood. Now, in the interest of total disclosure, I wouldn’t say that my sister and I are exceptionally close. We are very different people in so many ways.



In recent years, the power of the bond of sisterhood has permeated the collective consciousness. Let’s take for instance the reaction to the movie, Frozen. This is a fairy tale ultimately about the love between sisters. It isn’t the love of prince that is the act of true love needed to break the curse but rather the love between the sisters, Anna and Elsa.

There have been articles and think-pieces galore about why this is a significant development in the realm of children’s movies in terms of feminist film, but I think it highlights something very important in the relationship between sisters. It’s a pretty honest portrayal of the bond of sisterhood. Elsa and Anna could not be more different in terms of personality. Where Elsa is calm and calculating, Anna is impulsive. Elsa is the responsible one with her own struggles that she keeps to herself. Anna, on the other hand, has a certain naïveté and rushes headlong into any situation without thinking twice. Despite these differences, both Elsa and Anna would sacrifice themselves simply to protect the other from harm. Even if they can’t understand the other, there is nothing that one wouldn’t sacrifice for the other. 

This is very much like the relationship between my sister and me. As I said, we are very different people. I tend to be more Elsa-like while my sister has always been more like Anna. She attacks everything that she does with gusto while I tend to contemplate and plan, taking every possible outcome and/or obstacle into account. While we never quite had the same argument as Anna and Elsa about whether or not Anna should marry someone she just met, the type of argument is something that my sister and I had quite frequently growing up. Usually it was me saying we shouldn’t do something and my sister saying that we should. 

This wasn’t always the case, and I could indeed be reckless when we were playing from time to time. There is one story that my sister constantly brings up that led to stitches. We were playing in our shared room as we usually did, but I convinced her that it would be a good idea to play human cannonball. I offered to pay her a quarter to be the cannonball. Having convinced her, she leaned back on my feet while I lay on my bed. Soon I launched her across the room trying to aim her for the other bed. Well, of course, since I was probably about 6 or 7 and she was 3 or 4, that didn’t go as planned. She ended up hitting face first on the metal frame of the bed and busted open her lip. So that was a trip to the doctor for stitches. And my sister loves to remind me that I never did give her that quarter.

The power of sisterhood as a cultural construct is that there is a bond that transcends personal differences. My sister and I are complete opposites and can have screaming matches about any number of topics. We don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things, but I wouldn’t trade her for anything in the world. There are times that I am sure she doesn’t always like me as a person, and there have been times that I may not particularly like her either. But I always love her unconditionally. 

Happy Birthday, Val!

No comments:

Post a Comment