Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Confessions of a Geek Girl Pt 7: Social Anxiety and the Awkward Panda



As anyone who knows me can attest, I am an awkward person. Usually when I do something incredibly awkward, I slough it off by saying something like “Awkward panda is awkward.” It’s my way of dealing with the anxiety that comes along with what would be considered by most to be pretty normal social interactions.



The thing is though that, every time one of those awkward social interactions occur, I will spend days analyzing and thinking over the situation and how it was handled. I wonder if I offended someone. Did I make that person think less of me because I wasn’t entirely organized or put together? I try very hard to maintain a sort of structure and organization to my life and interactions so that people will like and appreciate me. It’s my own way of maintaining control and trying to mitigate the chaos of life.

As part of this, I sometimes can come off as an arrogant and annoying know-it-all. I use my ability to recall information about a variety of different subjects as my armor to deflect from those awkward social interactions. I figure that much of my contribution to any social situation is going to be knowledge-based. This is something that goes back to the way I was treated by my peers and classmates in school. I was always the girl in class who had the answer. When someone needed help finding the answer to a problem in the text, I could be counted on to know where the information is located in the text or just readily have it at my disposal. Because I wasn’t the prettiest or the most popular of people, I could make myself useful to others in this way instead. 

Now, I have become keenly aware that I tend to over-explain information in a way that seems to assume that someone is not as capable as me in understanding a specific area. In these instances, I come across as condescending. It’s never my intention to be so. For so long, my ability to recall and explain information has been my main identity. If I’m not the “smart” girl in the room, then who am I and what can I contribute? It’s difficult to break out of that mindset. 

I have to admit that I tend to do this more so with women than with men. I think it’s in part because I am trying to distinguish myself from other women. I’m trying really hard to break out of that internalized misogyny that pits women as competition against each other, but it’s a hard thought pattern to break. I tend to do this less with men because it’s been ingrained by social expectations that men like to be placated and think that they are the most intelligent person in the room. I try to temper when I will speak up and correct them or at least try to do so in a way that doesn’t come across as emasculating to them. I don’t always succeed at either which also contributes to my social anxiety.



I am very regularly in a state of wondering whether or not people actually like me or if I’m just useful to them. I think everyone has this thought at some point. I tend to dwell on this and obsess about it. I wonder what people say about me when I’m not around. I think over interactions trying to determine if there was a genuine exchange of friendship or if I’m just being tolerated. This probably goes back to the way I interacted with others in school, particularly middle school and high school. There were some of the more popular kids who seemed to engage with me only when they needed help on a project or assignment. I wanted to be liked, as most people do, so I tried my hardest to be as useful to them as possible. Again, it was mostly what I could do in terms of scholastics that would be most useful to them, so I always tried to make sure that people knew what I knew and could help them with.

Then there’s the constant state of worry wondering what people are saying about me when I’m not around. There have been too many times when I thought someone was a friend, but it ended up that they were only nice to my face. It was a situation where they would be nice to get what they needed from me but when I wasn’t around, they would make fun of me or talk about how annoying I was or any number of things. I was an acquaintance of convenience rather than someone whose company was actually enjoyed. It’s made me distrustful in a certain way. I know that I can come across as being too trusting with some of the more personal details of my life. However, I am strategic in what I share and with whom. There are certain things that I’ve decided that I should not be ashamed of and will talk about freely. 

Social anxiety is something that I struggle with more so than I try to let on. It’s a nearly constant state of questioning and overthinking nearly every interaction I have with someone. I worry if I’m being too assertive or aggressive. I think about how I worded something in an email, a post, or just a conversation. I fret about whether or not people are talking about me behind my back. I wonder if people can see my insecurities and anxiety. I try to deflect with random knowledge or awkward self-deprecating humor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment