Sunday, January 15, 2017

Confessions of a Geek Girl Pt 2



The other night, as I was leaving a party and conversing with someone who I greatly respect, I was complimented in a way that took me aback. She told me that I seem to be more comfortable in my own skin now than when we first met. This took me aback not because I’ve always felt comfortable with who I am but because I’m still not comfortable with who I am for the most part.

If I am completely honest, much of the time I feel as though I am walking a tightrope, trying to maintain the delicate balance of femininity and nerdiness. I don’t mean to say that nerds cannot be feminine. This is the furthest thing from the truth, but as discussed in some previous posts, the realms of nerdom seem to be dominated by men. Women and girls who find themselves as fans of things like comic books, sports, gaming, professional wrestling, etc. are often categorized as a tomboy. When you throw in the issue of gatekeeping, there can be some pressure to be seen as “one of the guys.” This is a double-edged sword for many of us, but I’m not going to discuss the relationship aspect.
I am not a girly girl. Although to be honest, I’m not even sure what that means anymore. When I was younger, it meant that I wasn’t super into playing with dolls, wearing dresses, the color pink, and so on. I had Barbie dolls, but to be honest, I mostly used them to put on plays that were self-written. My younger sister and I grew up in a neighborhood where there was only one other girl, so it was natural that we played war, baseball, football, and such. I gravitated towards the things that the boys liked simply to have someone to play with. 

Then I went to school where there were certainly more girls, but I didn’t really connect with them in the same way. I was usually the only girl on the playground playing with the nerdy guys as we played Transformers, Thundercats, or Ghostbusters. Granted, I usually had to play the token female character, but it definitely wasn’t jumping rope like many of the other girls. I was different, and this was made abundantly clear not only by how I was treated by the other girls but the boys as well. I had joined the club and seen as one of them.

As I got older, I wanted to be seen as more of a girl while still maintaining a certain level of nerd cred, but I am more comfortable in my jeans and comic book shirt than I am in a dress. If I’m in a group of people I don’t know, I am certainly more likely to try and strike up a conversation with a guy than a woman because I’m more certain that I will have something in common with him. So I began to question how I can be seen as both a woman and a nerd.

This has become easier as retailers begin to cater more to the female fan. In recent years, I have been able to purchase leggings and dresses that allow me to express a more feminine side while clearly stating that I am indeed a nerd. Stores like Hot Topic and ThinkGeek.com have options that fulfill this desire. I can buy a corset in Star Trek science blue or a dress with comic book characters, but this is still a case where we are fitting our definition of femininity into a socialized gender norms. 

I’m trying to be more comfortable in my skin. I do have a strong sense of who I am and know what I like. I can be pretty vocal about it, but I still have doubts whether that makes me the awesome person that others may see. I’m still just trying to navigate and figure it all out even if it seems like I have all of the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment