Thursday, January 5, 2017

Confessions Pt 2: A Personal Jukebox



When I think back on the soundtrack of my life, there are always certain songs that stick out in my mind. In 2016, we lost some of the musicians that provided those moments. Music has the power to inspire, empower, comfort, excite. It can encapsulate human experience in three minutes. As a child of the 80s and 90s, it should come as no surprise that some of these songs and artists have had a lasting impact on my life. Here’s a brief list of some songs in the soundtrack of my life.

George Michael – “Freedom ‘90”
While this song is deeply personal for George Michael in that it expresses his desire to break free from the sex symbol image that was carefully cultivated for MTV in the late 80s and be taken seriously as an artist, it still resonates to the average listener. This is best exemplified in the line: “All we have to do now / is take these lies and make them true somehow. / All we have to see / is that you don’t belong to me / and I don’t belong to you.” This is the ultimate declaration of personal freedom. We all have moments where we feel as though we are just doing what we need to in order to please others rather than ourselves.


Janet Jackson – “Rhythm Nation”
Ever since I first heard “Control,” Janet seemed to be speaking to me directly. As a young girl, I understood the desire to be mine own person, but it was “Rhythm Nation” that had the most impact on helping me develop into the socially aware, justice oriented person that I would become. It was really the first anthem for racial and social harmony that stood out to me. This isn’t to say that others didn’t do more or would have the same impact down the road, but this was the first. I distinctly remember watching the video and even at the age of 9 understood the visual message of the song.


Madonna – “Express Yourself”
Madonna influenced so many women of my generation. She owned her sexuality in ways that I would come to understand with greater depth later in life, but she was unapologetically herself. She didn’t cringe from the things that were supposed to be taboo. Madonna came across as someone in control of the sexualization of her image. It was on her terms. “Express Yourself” seemed to epitomize the idea that women should be in control of their own bodies and sexual agency. Later singers would try to emulate this power with it sometimes ringing false, but Madonna’s seemed to come from a genuine place of female empowerment.


Salt N’ Pepa – “Shoop”
I was in middle school, and this was one of the first albums I bought on tape. I listened to it until the tape was worn out. As some of my friends were surprised to learn, I know every word to this song. Like Madonna, Salt N’ Pepa really helped me understand that it was ok for girls and women to be interested in sex like men. It did lead to some conflict with the things that I was being taught at church. I can’t say that it made things clear for me right away, but it did contribute.


En Vogue – “Free Your Mind”
This was another one of those social justice songs. As a white girl living in Iowa, I couldn’t understand the black experience. I could, however, listen to the message of this song and understand that the world was bigger than the comfort of my own smaller town. It was important to open my mind and try to see the world from others’ eyes.


Prince – “Kiss”

Prince was one of those artists that meant so much to so many. Whenever I am feeling down and insecure about myself, this song helps me begin to feel a bit better. The message that the external things such as looks, attitude, and those other superficial things are not the important thing in relationships. It's ok to be real and be yourself. It's really just about being there. It's another one of those body positive messages that we all need to hear.


Alannis Morisette – “You Oughta Know”
Like many girls my age, Alannis fueled our feminine angst in high school. This song was of great comfort to me as I experienced my first relationships ending. I was angry and hurt. Alannis seemed to understand my pain. Even if I didn’t fully grasp the lyrical content in terms of personal experience, I could certainly understand the feeling of wanting to tell an ex how much of an asshole he was for breaking my heart and leaving me for someone else. This would eventually lead me to the music of Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, and Ani DiFranco in college.


Green Day – “Minority”
In college, my rebellious streak was developing. I entered my punk phase which would lead to my goth/alt rock look. I wore leather pants, fishnet shirts with only a bra underneath, knee high boots, dark make-up. Green Day along with punk legends like The Sex Pistols and The Clash fueled this part of my life. I was trying hard to break free from my goody two-shoes reputation without totally rejecting some of the things I had been raised to believe by my fairly religious upbringing. This song was my way of thumbing my nose at authority.



TLC – “Unpretty”
TLC were my girls with CrazySexyCool in high school, and this song from their third album, FanMail, was just what I needed to hear in college as I struggled with body image issues. In my freshman year of college, I inexplicably lost 35 pounds and grew an inch taller. I was finally the skinny I had wanted to be in high school, but it came with some drawbacks. I had always been insecure in terms of looks and body image. Now that I was what society had told me that I should look like, I thought I would be happier. I wasn’t. I still felt ugly. This song helped reinforce that it wasn’t what was on the outside that mattered. It didn’t matter what others told you. It was the inside that mattered. I needed to find the beauty within. I still struggle with this as I think all women do, but it’s a powerful message.


No comments:

Post a Comment