Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Welcome to Femi-nerdism!



Femi-nerd is just what it sounds like a feminist nerd.  This doesn’t seem to be a foreign concept to most.  Feminists should be everywhere and in every facet of culture.  So what does it mean to be a femi-nerd?  Well that’s what I want to define.  

I guess, we first have to define what it means to be a nerd. Nerds are everywhere.  When we are talking about nerd culture, it isn’t just about comic books, gaming, anime, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. Nerdiness really knows no boundaries; it’s all about passion.  There are so many things that I am nerdy about.  

So next what does it mean to be a feminist nerd?  In the current political and cultural climate, there are consistent questions about what it means for women to be treated as equal to their male counterparts. What does it mean to be female fan in a male-dominated fandom?  How do we, as women, make our voices heard about issues that are important to us in the media we consume?  How do we combat gate-keeping in the nerd community and some of the uglier sides to nerd culture?
That’s my goal with this blog.  I want to not only voice my own opinions about what it means to be a feminist nerd and address those issues that are dear to me, but act as an outlet for some of my fellow feminist nerds.  I don’t know everything about nerd culture as it wide and varied, so I will invite some friends to weigh in on issues that matter to them. 

I want to continue a conversation that needs to happen, now more than ever. Feminism doesn’t look the same to everyone. You may not agree with me or some of the other writers, and that’s ok. Disagreements and dialogue are important, but it must always remain civil. Trolling, name calling, etc will not be tolerated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment