Friday, April 21, 2017

Why Captain America's Origins Matter

Spoiler Warning: This post will discuss some events from the new Marvel series, Secret Empire, specifically Secret Empire #0. I've tried to speak in broad generalities so as not to reveal some of the more surprising plot points, but beware if you haven't read it yet.






I am going to veer a bit from the feminist aspect to address something that is near and dear to my heart: Captain America. More specifically, the current comic story arc written by Nick Spencer. Several months ago, Cap uttered those famous words, “Hail Hydra,” sending shockwaves throughout the comic book community. People were understandably angry and upset. They felt betrayed. I felt all of those same feelings. I was bewildered and hurt.

I did stick with the story and breathed a sigh of relief when it was revealed in the next issue that this version of Captain America was all the result of Kobik, the young girl who is the embodiment of the Cosmic Cube, re-writing Cap’s memory. So this wasn’t the real Cap but a product of Hydra and the Red Skull. This narrative arc intersected with Civil War II. It was a decent, coherent narrative that had some interesting aspects and ramifications to the Marvel comic book universe. 

Then Secret Empire #0 came out, and it all changed. The basic gist of this new title is that Kobik was not re-writing Cap’s memory to make him Hydra. Instead, Kobik was revealing Cap’s real memories as SHIELD had previously used the cosmic cube to re-write the whole Cap’s history to make him the hero. In this new world, not only is Captain America a Hydra spy, but he helped the Axis powers win WWII. Yep, instead of punching Hitler in the face, Steve Rogers was helping Nazis win the war. Captain America was never part of the Avengers, fighting alongside them; he was always their enemy.

Of course, there’s the historical ramifications. Captain America was created as a critique of the US’ non-involvement in WWII. He was punching Hitler before the face before the US ever entered in the war. When the predominant feeling of the country was for the US to stay out of the problems of Europe and the rise of Hitler, Captain America and Marvel took that evil head on. 

Here’s why this hurts me on a profound level. To me, Captain America has always stood as the embodiment of what America should be. No matter the challenge; he always stood up for what was right. It didn’t matter what another person looked like; Captain America was there to serve. Steve Rogers believed in the best of humanity despite having seen its worst. He was a reminder that despite our failings, humanity is ultimately good. This is a message that we need so much today. When we turn on the news every night and see children from war-torn countries struggling to survive, it is important to have faith that there is still good in the world. There are still people willing to stand up and do the right thing no matter the cost.

On another personal note, Captain America has always been a source of inspiration. Several weeks back as I mentioned, I left a podcast that meant something to me because I wasn’t free to really speak my truth and call out the negativity that I saw. When I was trying to decide what I should do, the words that kept going through my mind were Cap’s from Civil War when he was speaking to Peter Parker: “…Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world – No, YOU move.” This a motto to live by. It’s what gave me strength in that moment to walk away from something I cared about because it was the right thing to do. 

It’s been a rallying cry to the resistance in the wake of Trump’s election. When I saw that Donald Trump won in November, I felt like I didn’t know the country I was living in. I was saddened and disappointed that fear and hate had won the day. It didn’t feel like the country that I grew up in. I couldn’t understand how this could happen; I wondered where the goodness of this country went. I turned to those words of Captain America to fuel my spirit of dissent. Despite the results, I still knew what was right and what this country should be. It was now my duty to “plant myself like a tree” whenever I saw injustice. I had a rallying cry, something to get behind. Captain America was where I found my strength.

I wasn’t the only one. I saw that familiar panel plastered across Facebook and Twitter. We knew what we had to do. We couldn’t let hate and evil win. It’s possible that this current story arc may resolve itself without destroying all that we hold dear when it comes to Captain America, but right now, it feels like a punch to the gut. When we needed him the most to remind us not of what America is but what it should be, Captain America has been ripped away from us. It may just be a story to some, but to me, it was a source of power and escape from the despair of the ugliness of the world.

Now, we are left with a world where good doesn’t triumph over evil. In fact, the most evil enterprise in the world, Nazism (I don’t care that they are trying to make this more about Hydra and not about the Nazi party), has triumphed. While this may be the way we feel about the state of the world, we need to be reminded that goodness can prevail.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment